Q&A - CVSE Authority

Ticket WriterQuestion: Do Commercial Vehicle Safety and Enforcement (CVSE) officers have the authority to pull over and ticket non-commercial vehicles for traffic violations such as speeding or running a stop sign?

CVSE Authority

Yes, they do. They are considered peace officers for the enforcement of the provincial vehicle statutes and receive their powers under the Police Act.

image of CVSE vehicles at the roadside

Mandate is Commercial Vehicle Enforcement

According to their website:

The British Columbia Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure Commercial Vehicle Safety and Enforcement (CVSE) branch promotes compliance of safety regulations within the commercial transport sector, with the goal of increasing road safety and protecting public health, the environment and transportation infrastructure.

Within the commercial transport sector, heavy commercial trucks are a large focus of the CVSE.

Share This Article